A journey to finding your Why & What
Time and again in our lives we ask ourselves, “Is there more to life?” Most of us will say, ‘Yes!’ or ‘Maybe’. A primary psychological reason behind this question is to find a true meaning of life. No matter what our profession, age, race, gender, religion or country is, we all yearn to do more and live more.
So, how do we find out what is that ‘More’ in our lives?
To embark on a journey to finding our ‘More to Life’, let’s answer these questions:
- Do I have a passion that doesn’t seem to go away?
- Do I desire to contribute more to the community than what I am giving right now?
- Do I envision a successful business/career, harmonious relationships and a life lived on purpose?
- Do I find myself doing certain work with utter engagement, even if I am not getting paid for it?
If you answered, yes, to two or more questions then let me tell you my friend, to find that ‘More’ you have to ‘Become More’.
We are all born with unfathomable potential. A unique potential given to each individual to accomplish a certain purpose. And it is this purpose that gives meaning to our lives.
So, how do we find our purpose?
We find our purpose by finding our ‘WHY’.
Your Why is the purpose, cause or belief that inspires you to do what you do. – Simon Sinek
Find Your WHY:
Your WHY conforms to your passion, strengths, values and the desire to see a specific end result.
To find the Why let’s start by defining your Vision, Mission, Values & Strengths.
A vision is a photograph of your glorious future. It describes, ‘Where you are headed, what it looks like & what positive influence [impact] it will bring in the world’.
Write your vision on paper and make it clear. Revisit your vision frequently to stay focused towards the desirable future, where you are set to make a positive difference in this world.
- What is the desired future that I envision?
- What positive impact is it making in peoples’ lives?
A mission is a purpose statement. It describes, ‘Why you exist, what problems/needs are you or your business trying to address’.
A mission statement describes what you will do to achieve your vision; it reminds you of your purpose, of your WHY while you continually make progress to realize your vision.
- What problems or needs am I trying to address?
- Where do I see myself adding the most value?
- What is it that gives me a sense of fulfillment?
Values are your core beliefs and guiding behaviors. They communicate what is important to you. They describe, ‘what you stand for, what influences your overall behavior’.
Values inform your vision. They set a benchmark for the ‘HOW’ question. How will you do what you have pledged in order to reach your vision.
- What are my most cherished beliefs & character attributes?
- What standards do I admire the most in influential people?
- What standards do I see myself living up to?
- By what standards am I going to measure my path and progress?
Strengths are good attributes that you demonstrate on a day to day basis. Some consider strengths to be a building block of one’s character.
- What am I naturally good at?
- What qualities do I possess?
- What skills and knowledge have I acquired that aligns with my passion?
Once you have answered these questions, you will gain clarity towards “Why do I do, what I do” and “Why certain things/people/causes/theories inspire me more than others.”
Find Your WHAT:
Once you know your WHY, finding WHAT is not that much of a challenge.
- What do I really want to achieve in life?
- What exactly, do I see myself doing in 10 years from now? 20 years from now?
- Is there any idea that doesn’t seem to go away, no matter how many times I divert from it?
Write down all your ideas and analyze them. Each idea should take you to your vision. If any of those ideas do not help you reach your primary goal then it is worth skipping it.
To fill any gaps, brainstorm all possible pros and cons of each idea, and discuss them with the market experts who are well versed in that industry.
If you have two or more different business ideas, then choose the one that resonates the most with your mission and inspires you to take massive action. Besides transforming your idea into a profitable income, your focus should also be on making a positive difference in peoples’ lives.
Just keep in mind, the idea that you are willing to entertain will require you to utilize your strengths, talents, resources and commitment. So, gird-up and start taking one step after another towards your vision.
Upon gaining clarity on your WHY and WHAT, the expedition to finding ‘HOW’ begins.
He who has a ‘why’ to live, can bear with almost any ‘how’. – Friedrich Nietzsche
To help you further refine ‘WHAT’ and ‘HOW’ from a business and digital online presence point of view we recommend our FREE step-by-step guide on 10 Actionable Steps to Setup Online Business.
Get you copy today and start taking progressive steps towards your idea. See your idea transform into a profitable business.
At Upxcel we are committed to simplifying business by empowering you with a customized blueprint that suites your business model and needs.
We wish you a life full of Purpose, Joy, Passion, Service and Fulfillment. Let’s make it happen!
Simplifying Business; Amplifying lives – UPXCEL
By – Praneet Kaur